Proposed Changes to the Heavy Diesel Commercial Motor Vehicle Emissions Testing Program
As committed to in the Made-in-Ontario Environment Plan, the government is taking action to improve programs that protect Ontario’s air and reduce smog-causing pollutants. The Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP) is proposing a number of changes for heavy diesel commercial motor vehicles to tighten emissions control standards and testing requirements and to clarify which vehicles are subject to emissions control standards and testing. These regulatory changes, which are currently posted for a 45-day consultation period on the Environmental Registry of Ontario and Ontario’s Regulatory Registry, are proposed to come into effect on January 1, 2020.
Proposed Integrated Vehicle Safety and Emissions Inspection Program
In addition, the government is aiming to propose regulatory amendments to integrate the new enhanced emissions testing program with the Ministry of Transportation’s (MTO) existing motor vehicle safety inspection program in 2021. Under the integrated program, which will be administered by MTO, owners of heavy diesel commercial motor vehicles would be able to get an emissions and safety inspection at the same time and location — one test, with one digital result. A Request for Bids will also be issued later this fall for the delivery of the outsourced service for the future program.
Links to MECP’s Decision Notice and Regulatory Posting are provided below.
What does this mean for me and my facility?
• Existing contracts will continue until June 30, 2021.
• Additional information on participation requirements for the integrated program will be shared in the future.
Environmental Registry of Ontario Decision Notice
MECP has posted a decision notice on the Environmental Registry of Ontario, outlining:
• winding down the light vehicle emissions testing requirements
• redesigning the heavy vehicle emissions testing program
• clarifying and strengthening the on-road enforcement of emissions standards for both light and heavy vehicles
Proposed Regulatory Changes
MECP is proposing regulatory changes in two areas:
1. Strengthening on-road enforcement of emissions standards for all vehicles on Ontario’s roads
2. Enhancing the heavy diesel commercial motor vehicle emissions testing program
The Environmental Registry of Ontario regulatory proposal is open for 45 days. Contact information is listed in the proposal should you have any comments or questions regarding the proposed changes.